Guild Wars Reporter Episode 50 – The Influence of Influence
Chris and Celeste have lunch with Colin Johanson (by proxy), dig in to the influence problem with the new guild missions, and give you some math homework to look over.
What We Did This Week
- Font of Rhand & fractal
- quaggan party
- played with my 5yo as engineers
- huntsman up to 400 on my mesmer netting me 9 levels
- Mystic Hornbow! http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mystic_Hornbow
- Continuing the never ending zone completion quest on my warrior.
- Played on my Necro for a bit.
- WuvWuv on my Engineer. Bored…bored…bored..OMG ATTACK!!!! bored…bored…
Report from Lion’s Arch
Lunch with Colin Johanson and EU community
- Pg 1 – mounts “That concept art piece for Flame and Frost [...] got put out with a guy standing next or riding a horse and by the second we got that put out, everyone said “MOUNTS ARE COMING IN THIS RELEASE” and I was like “Noooo!”. Concept art team, you can never do that again! “
- Pg 1 – “Is there any possibility that the UI will help track other people [in guild missions]? Colin: That’s the type of stuff we’re not building yet but I think that will be included in the list of stuff we’ll be looking into with other guild upgrades. We need to get to the point where we just sit down and start getting people working on it. We’re always leveraged by how many engineers we have, that’s our biggest issue at any given time. It is “how many programmers do we have that can actually code anything?”. The feedback, all this time, is “why don’t you build XYZ when you’re building this instead?” and there’s a bunch of stuff we build that takes designers and artists to do and we have tons of designers and artists and there are certains things that take programmers to do and we only have so many of them.”
- Pg 1 – “Will alliance [cross-guild] chat be implemented some time? Colin: Anything we can do that will help communication across communities is really important.”
- Pg 1 – “Will we see some improvements in the UI, in terms of flexibility? Colin: Right now there’s really not very much at all that we can do with the UI, like resizable elements or anything, so, hopefully, at some point we can tackle that.”
- Pg 1 – “ The WvW progression system doesn’t give players skills, it just gives them new abilities that are specific to WvW. For example, if you are standing out in a field and you are fighting 1 on 1 against a player the abilities do not make you more powerful than anyone else in WvW. They just expand your ability to operate in WvW… An example could be “potential carrying of more supply”. I take it this is a passive thing, it’s not slotted in your bar? Colin: Correct.”
- Pg 2 – why karka was a crap event “ One of the problems that we had is, the day we shipped GW2 we immediately started development on everything that happened in October and November. And we were building it all simultaneously and so we learned about our lessons from October but we didn’t have time to do anything about them in November. There was basically like we’re locked into these release dates, we have a free trial in November, “go go go go go, we have to hit these dates”, and that’s one of the challenges of a live game…It was more “we have to get stuff out, let’s go!”.”
- Pg 2 – AC dungeon update “ So in the February release –we haven’t talked a lot about this- but we actually rebuilt all of the bosses of the Ascalon Catacombs, from scratch. All of them will be brand new in the February release. I remember the encounters have all been re-done as well. And we’re in the midst of going through all the major bosses in the game in 2013 and try to make them more fun to fight against, making them more challenging. Now that’s a huge project. That’s going to take us a really long time to do that. But just in February alone, we’re rolling some of that out and for a lot of people I think their answer for playing the game has been “it’s really fun but there’s not enough challenging stuff for me to do”.”
- Pg 2 – “Are we going to see more unique craftable items? What about being able to craft weapon skins? Colin: Yeah, we just need more artists. (laughs) But yes it would be really nice to have more reasons to level your crafting to 400 and have cool things that you can get from doing so. I think that’s one of the problems with crafting right now there’s just not a lot of reason to do it. “
- Pg 2 – guild halls “Before I let others ask about WvW, something that’s come up in our guild meetings is we’d love to have guild halls Colin: Me too, that’d be great. It’s just a matter of skill set wise the people who work on that, are also the same people who work on like seven other systems in the game. Basically all that stuff uses your account data and there’s only a couple of engineers really who completely understand how that whole system works and so we’re always time limited on what systems those guys can work on and them training others so they can work on those systems.”
- Pg 2 – wvw changes “I spend way too many hours watching water gate in the garrisons just watching for golems. I think 4 hours was my longest shift. It’s not fun, I don’t want to do it, but it’s got to be done. Colin: So our February release is gonna change that. The little orange swords won’t pop up unless there’s at least… err, I wanna say like 25 people have to be on the spot. That’s a really small change but it’s actually gonna drastically change the way people play WvW. “
- Pg 3 – news on precursors “Precursors. A little while ago there was mention that there were going to be other ways to get hold of precursors, like through the scavenger hunt. Colin: Someday yes. Someday. So no plans for the immediate future? “ he continues to say that they’ve increased rng chances and added more areas for them to drop
- Pg 3 – maybe polymock since bar brawl is coming eventually, they’d like to add more activities to keep people in the main cities
More details on Guild Missions
- unlocked – guild tech trees (art of war most notably)
- bounty – special bosses that have unique mechanics
- trek – find locations on a timer
- challenge – ramped up regular events turned uber
- rush – chicken run!
- puzzle – jumping puzzles for large groups that require cooperation (loved the labyrinth wall crashing down in the video)
- rewards – guild merits (used to unlock more tech tree upgrades and guild missions)
Isiah Cartwright Clarifies and Community Reactions
- Instead of working towards building banners for bonuses all the time people should be working to progress themselves into the tech trees as much as possible. I can’t help but feel that this will detract from the friendly banners in Lion’s Arch and the camaraderie that goes along with having those available.
- There will be more additions to the tech tree that will modify the way guild missions are activated or behave
- to a certain degree this penalizes smaller, pve centric guilds that didn’t spec all the way into any of the trait trees or like ours, only did architecture to completion
- related: http://thepaletree.net/2013/02/22/guilds-and-the-demerit-system/, Verene clarifies this also a problem for large multi-server international guilds where communication and influence are a hinder progress
Ask An Asuran
Karma Farming Guide to Cursed Shore
- follow the figure 8 pattern while guesting on a “very high” server with boosters and food and you’ll be raking in the karma for armor (http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/List_of_armor_sets#Exotic_Karma_armor_sets), materials, obsidian shards, jewelry boxes (http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Lost_Orrian_Jewelry_Box), cultural weapons, or lots of other things!
RNG breakdown of Moldy Bags and T6 Rare Crafting Materials
- used for legendary gifts and obviously crafting recipes
Tales of Tyria
Chronicles of Tyria’s CE Giveaway Entrants ((some of these are freaking GORGEOUS))
Guild Wars 2 Recipes with Real Life Counterparts
For all the bronies out there…
Request for community events of the week/bi-week. Send us an email!
If you’ve got a burning question for our Ask an Asuran segment, please let us know!
Check out our new widget (and link to our information page) on mmoreporter.com. We’re trying to send Harry Hol to PAX East! Rather than get a sponsor, we’re trying to go ad free for our content this time around, and we want your help! Click to donate or on the link below the widget to find out more information.
Voicemail: 616-666-6778 (and our new live widget on the ride hand side of the page)
|Print article||This entry was posted by Celeste on March 2, 2013 at 2:26 pm, and is filed under General, Guild Wars 2, Guild Wars Reporter Podcast, Podcast. Follow any responses to this post through RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback from your own site.|