Chris and Bill rise from the ashes of RL responsibilities to talk MMO games! With the news of the hot new Kickstarter – Ashes of Creation, and an exploration of the Wild West in MMO form, there’s lots of news on this week’s show.
What we did in game:
Patreon shout out
Ashes of Creation Kickstarter
- Nodes. What are they?
- Part 1 – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMvubbX-SHg
- Part 2 – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44HChA1Kkfk
- “Where players decide to plant their nodes”
- Player housing growth with the level of the node – Buy a small house, level the node and get a better house!
- Land rush for nodes?
- At first exist behind the scene, with zones of influence
- A camp can form, then grow depending on player activities
- 8 Races
- 2 human
- 2 elf
- 2 orc
- 2 dwarf
- 8 Archetypes
- Will have primary and secondary
- Fighter, Tank, Rogue, Ranger, Mage, Summoner, Cleric, and Bard.
- Q&A with Steven Sharif, Creative Director: https://www.dropbox.com/s/epsui1i4s8cs94t/Discord%20Q%26A%20With%20Steven%2005142017.docx?dl=0
- Mage Combat Video
Wild West Online
- Made to fill Red Dead Redemption’s online space – only to come out right around the same time as the sequel
- Weirdly underserved setting – maybe a signal that a solid global market is important (i.e. MMO’s are more global than other styles)
Go to audiblepodcast.com/mmoreporter
Use the coupon code mmoreporter for a free 120GB SSD with your purchase!
Runescape news – Leak? and skilling update?
- While streaming, “Mod Shauny” showed a “Next Gen” logo. Quickly switched screens but didn’t end the stream of mute his mic.
- Leak or hype generation event?
- The Shifting Tombs
- Skilling update
- Fast Paced
- Players choose a god to pledge allegiance to, then a skill ( Dungeoneering, Agility, Thieving, and Construction😉 players will be able to choose whether they gain experience in all four skills or a particular one of them
- While inside the tombs secondary experience will be given in Crafting, Runecrafting, Prayer, and Divination. Alternatively the player may opt to receive coins and other loot instead of experience.
- Gameplay will last for 5 minutes and will involve players co-operating to complete objectives such as opening chests.
Razer Ripsaw Review
Microsoft VR MMO?
- From the job posting:
- “Do you love MMOs? Are you excited about virtual reality? Would you like every Xbox user to experience your design every time they use it? We are embarking on a bold charter and need your help us take the next step. The Xbox Mixed Reality team is looking for an experienced senior design manager with deep expertise and passion around crafting immersive social systems and experiences. We’re looking to build a massively social gaming and entertainment experience for both the PC and the console. Here is an opportunity to join a fun and collaborative team that experiments with the latest toys, works with state of the art tech, and crafts the future of entertainment.”
- From the job posting:
- Last time Microsoft tried to cut into the bleeding edge of MMO’s they wound up finishing in 3rd place in a 2 horse race…
Dual Universe Dev Update
- Ship customizability (e.g. thruster placement) shown off
What are you playing next week?
- Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade
- Fishing Planet