Today we have the most epic deck battle in Happy Hearthstone history as well as lots of information about the future of the show. This is one you can’t miss!
News from the week
- LOTS of conversations from Game Developers of Hearthstone (Ben Brode, Mike Donais, and Dean Ayala (Iksar)
- Big points:
- They’ve heard the cries of the people and are considering some changes to the ladder system (more winstreaks, hard caps so you can’t fall after getting to ranks 15, 10, 5, etc.)
- Lots of Arena considerations as well. Possibly making it standard, making it more possible to get “swing” cards as opposed to just vanilla minions… And next month they’ll come out with a top 100 Arena players of the month based off highest average wins per run with a minimum 30 run requirement.
- They’re quite happy with the state of the meta. Winrates for highest decks are around 52% overall. (Meaning there’s not anything super oppressive and unbeatable out there. Decks are overall balanced.)
- You can watch the full broadcast of a Twitch stream they did at https://www.twitch.tv/playhearthstone/v/114451425.
Defending Champion Deck
- Jarret: Future-Proof Tempo Mage
- December 2016
- Episode 83 – GameDiplomat.com
The Darkflight Warrior Deck
- 2 x Alexstrasza’s Champion : This card is the single reason why I’ve been making Dragon decks for two years. Insanely good.
- 1 x Netherspite Historian : This was love at first sight for me, and it’s only grown as I play with it. Slow, but always good.
- 1 x Beckoner of Evil : I only use C’thun cards guaranteed to hit +2 stats, because getting C’thun to 10 will make or break this deck.
- 2 x Blackwing Technician : Solid stats for early trades.
- 1 x Brann Bronzebeard : Every combo in this deck is huge. C’thun buffs for instant 10/10, +10 more armor on Shieldbearers, or double Discover dragons.
- 2 x Disciple of Cthun : Superstar for surviving the early game. Always keep in starting hand.
- 2 x Cthun’s Chosen : Not ideal, but the best +2/+2 cthun option left.
- 2 x Twilight Guardian : Gotta build that taunt wall!
- 2 x Azure Drake : All decks. All the time.
- 2 x Blackwing Corruptor : WTB Drakonid Operative, but this is a great 5-drop too.
- 1 x Sylvanas Windrunner : Just here for value and to draw out removal before the big guns drop.
- 2 x Ancient Shieldbearer : Your success is pretty closely tied to your ability to draw and proc this effect. Combo with Brann for immortality.
- 1 x Twin Emperor Vek’lor : Stall, stall, stall!
- 1 x Doomcaller : Sometimes you’ll have to use this as a desperate buff to hit the 10/10 stats, but you want to save it for the resurrect.
- 1 x Nefarian : Value.
- 1 x Ysera : Value.
- 1 x C’thun : He’s not the game-winner in this deck. He’s just another big threat at the top-end. They can’t remove all of them.
- 1 x Execute : Only run one copy after the nerf, but is plenty useful late and early, especially with little chippers like Netherspite Historian.
- 2 x Slam : Always good. Don’t be afraid to use as only removal early against aggro.
- 2 x Fiery War Axe : Every deck would run this, if it could.
In case you don’t have some of the ideal cards, here are some quality back-ups and alterations you can use, which all keep with the same theme and strengths of the deck.
- Beckoner of Evil : I bounce between Beckoner and Evil and Netherspite Historian, based on which side I’m having trouble proccing, Cthun or dragons.
- Netherspite Historian : Same.
- Brawl : This should be in the deck, but I’m crazy.
- Blood to Ichor : Equivalent to Slam, choose whichever you prefer.
- Chillmaw : All the top end dragons are hot-swappable. Just use the ones you have/like.
- Chromaggus : Same.
- Alexstrasza : Same.
- Shield Block : This is a great card in the deck and should probably be in it. I cut it after having a tough time getting both Cthun and dragons to proc.
- Who won
- How close was it?
- What were important moments?
- What went wrong/right for the challenger deck?
- Was this a good representation of the challenger deck’s strengths?
- Congratulate the winner
Card of the Week
Follow The Happy Hearthstone here:
- Google+ Happy Hearthstone
- Twitter @thehappyhs
- Twitter @andrewisliving
- Email email@example.com
- Comment on blog http://MMOReporter.com
- Guest Plugs